To help make sure everyone has enough to eat and good food doesn’t go to waste …
What do you – or your family – do to avoid wasting food?
Shi Heng Neo (9-11)
If we could not finish our meal when we are out dining, we will usually ask for a bag to pack the extras home. Then we will keep it in the fridge and heat it up to eat for our next meal. My parents also taught us to only take what we can finish, and we will try our best to finish what is given on our plates.
Wei Le Kok (12-14)
The most simple and easy way to avoid food waste is don't over buy. During pandemic periods, my family will take a short trip to the grocery store each week to buy some fresh & needed foods. My mom always cook it with care & serve just enough for family to avoid leftover food because a million of people have died of hunger. Be a giver not a waster.
Hang Kai Soo (3-5)
Hang Shuen Soo (3-5)
Hui Zhe Poh (12-14)
Did you know that in Africa, around 250 million people are experiencing hunger? To aggravate the situation, the conditions are deteriorating and not improving.
To avoid wasting food, there are some actions that my family & I will do:
1) Make sure the food cooked for the day is sufficient, but not in excess.
- For instance, my mother would only cook adequate amount of dishes for my family & avoid throwing the excess food into the waste basket.
2) Make a wish list when buying grocery with my family.
- This shall save money & also avoid buying unnecessary foodstuffs, which may end up in the dust bin.
3) Check the expiry date of the product, when shopping for grocery, especially the dairy products, canned food & sauces. Choose the fresh one with the longest product shelf life.
- With this, we are going to have longer time to consume the foodstuffs before it reaches the expiry date.
4) Keep the perishable foodstuffs, such as fish, poultry, meat & dairy products in the refrigerator.
- This way we will be able to conserve the foodstuffs & prevent it from spoiling or becoming unsafe for consumption.
Let's play our roles to ensure that NO food will be wasted.
As part of our 100th anniversary celebration, we launched the Giving Program to help people in need worldwide. In total, the Giving Program raised $52,000 USD for the Red Cross, building on the company’s $100,000 donation in 2020.