April 1, 2004
On April 1, 2004 Wilbur-Ellis Company completed the purchase of the Hughson Chemical Company agricultural fertilizer and crop protection business located in Hughson, California.
“Hughson Chemical is a first class operation with excellent people,” said Wilbur-Ellis President and Chief Executive Officer Herbert B. Tully in announcing the acquisition. “The Hughson operations service a significant number of acres of almonds as well as other specialty crops and they have established themselves as a premier provider of inputs for these crops”.
In the joint announcement, Howard M. Barnett, Manager of Hughson Chemical and major shareholder, confirmed the importance of aligning his organization with Wilbur-Ellis. “Combining forces with Wilbur-Ellis Company gives us access to additional resources to help us manage the business. This will allow us to continue to concentrate on providing excellent service to our customers. We are very pleased to be a member of the Wilbur-Ellis family of companies.”
The operations will continue to be managed by Mr. Barnett and all present employees will remain with the Company. The business will operate as Hughson Chemical, a branch of the Agribusiness Division of Wilbur-Ellis Company. The Agribusiness Division is headed by Dan Vradenburg, Executive Vice President of Wilbur-Ellis Company, and is headquartered in Walnut Creek, California.
Founded in 1921 and with total sales exceeding $1.3 billion, Wilbur-Ellis Company specializes in the marketing, distribution and formulation of crop protection products, fertilizers and animal feed stuffs. Through its Connell Bros., Co. and Animal Feed divisions, Wilbur-Ellis exports industrial chemicals, minerals and fibers and certain animal feedstuffs throughout the Pacific Rim for numerous major U.S. companies.
For more information, please visit www.wilburellis.com